Sunday, March 26, 2006

Speed Work

Distance: 1.3 miles       Time: ???              Bright and sunny 5:00 pm
Temperature: 59 °F Humidity: 32% Pressure: 30.04 inches
I was a little short on time so I ran at USF around the trail but I used the fitness stops as markers for a sprint workout. I jogged a nice long on at the start then alternated walking and sprinting. It was a good run. I like to run hard like that sometimes. I feel like a real runner rather than a jogger. I know that I start running even when it is a distance but I end up pretty pathetic by the end. I used the sprints to concentrate on my feet and how long they are on the ground. I read an article that said that improving turnover rate is important for not plodding along during the long runs and that sprint type workouts help this. They also help you get faster in general so it’s all good.

I was also thinking about a new interval type workout where I run one sprint one walk one run backwards one and repeat. I may have to do this one at the local park rather than USF because the local park is a sidewalk. It might be safer than the trail when I’m not looking forward. Also then I could do it the first time around with .2 mile segments then with longer segments the second time or next time etc.

Speed runner Me!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I've never been very good about speedwork. It does seem to contribute to better running though, even for slowpokes like me. :-)

Anonymous said...

Well I'm not very good about doing it as often as I should. I liked it more when it was done by playing football with the boys. We took turns running passing drills....line up, sprint, turn, catch ball, jog back, repeat. Those were fun sprint workouts!!