Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Friends

Distance: 2.0 miles   Time: 23:00:16 min   5:15 am
Temperature: 80 °F Humidity: 79% Pressure: 30:10 inches (holding)
I got some disappointing news yesterday. During my run this morning I did a lot of thinking. This is what I came up with, I will write this to put it down and get it out of my head…and then I will let it go:


Dear Friends,

Yes, all of you, you know who you are. We use this title of friend for a lot of different reasons.

I say “My friend _____ at work.” These are not really people I would ever do anything with outside of work. Nothing wrong with them we just aren’t really really friends. It is just easier than saying “This guy I work with who I hang out with while I’m there and throw darts with instead of getting anything productive done…”

However, when I truly give that title free and clear this is what you can expect of me:

I will pick you up if you fall.
I will make fun of you if you do something dumb. (I expect the same)
I will be proud of you if you complete your goals, no matter how big or small.
I will be happy for you at every milestone in your life, graduations, weddings, births.
I will be at your side if you are sick.
I will give you a hug if you are hurt or sad. Go ahead fall apart on my shoulder.
I have been called fiercely defensive of my friends. I think this is one of the greatest compliments I have ever received, I offer you this as well.
I will come when you call.
I will stand with you when you need support.
I will hold you up when you can stand no longer.
I will keep your secrets. (I have learned the value of this one over the years)
I will listen and then…
I will offer suggestions if you want them or sympathy if not.

I will deny you nothing that is within my power to give you, all I have is yours.

What do I expect from you? Well that is the question now isn’t it…. I would like to say I expect nothing but I found out that was not true.

I do not expect you do defend me, I do expect you to not add to the fire.
I expect to trust you not to lie to me or about me.
I expect to not be tossed aside when you are finished with me.

That is it. Not so hard is it? Do not be disappointed when you have not stood up to any one of those expectations when I can no longer give you this title. You made me cry. So now I’m done. Sorry (no, not really, you did this not me). I’m done.

Now all my cards are on the table. The ball is in your court. It is your play. Just let me know.

Your Friend,

JK/RunnerGirlFL/Bryndís


*Sorry for the rant but nothing hurts me more in this world than to have someone throw away that title. Thanks for reading. My Friend says it is good to write about these things sometimes....she is very smart.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a rough day. I think you are right when you say that one of the most hurtful things is to find out that those you considered your allies and friends turn out not to be so. It's so hard sometimes to let your guard down and then to be betrayed when you do is being hurt at your most vulnerable moments possible. They say keep your friends close and your enemies closer. But what to do when you find out that they are one and the same? Hang in there...we'll see how this friend plays that card. Though, is there any hand left to play at all?

Anonymous said...

Here, here. Well said, my friend.

Anonymous said...

gg - He will most likely have trouble playing the hand he delt himself....I don't think he is playing with a full deck. I am done and he would have a lot of proving to do to get his title back. However my cards are now on the table for the world to see where I stand. I hide nothing.

mb - I have never doubted where we stood, or that you stand beside me either. That is important.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand. The older I get, the less I'm willing to forgive. I think it would be insulting my true friendships if I gave the "title" to someone less deserving.
Best of luck with yours.

Anonymous said...

I like the qualities you list. You're amazing and anyone who would just throw you away doesn't know what type of great person they're missing out on. I'm definately proud to be your friend's little sister.

Anonymous said...

JR - You are exactly right. He has no honor and he has no class.

BF - I am honored that your brother is in my count of Friends, and now I am honored to continue that with you. (Notice I used a list again)

Anonymous said...

I know you've got sticks; you should use one on whatever clod you're talking about.

PS - see, I posted.

Anonymous said...

Hello Lunchbox!! I see you posted!! :) I would be happy to tell him to armor up but he doesn't play with us so I can't even go find him and hit him with sticks!!