Sunday, June 25, 2006

Longest Run and Fire!!


Distance: 2.27 miles   Time: 27:44 min    Partly Cloudy10:00 am
Temperature: 81 °F Humidity: 63% Pressure: 30.00 inches (rising)
Yesterday went well. I ran all 3.5 miles. I did take a small rest break when I had to stop at two larger stoplights. I stopped the watch once and waited an extra light cycle at one of them. So the time is how long I was running but still for a half mile increase it’s not so bad.

So pictures were requested from Thrusday Nights fun…Here ya go….


This one they are fanning out the water to make the shield and are pushing back the fire shooting straight out at them from a pipe to reach a valve to shut it off. The valve isn't really the one to shut it off but they have to get that far for the exercise.


Notice that the cone of water causes the fire to be drawn into the center of the cone so the fire is right up to the end of the nozzle of the hose. The first firefighter is on the other side of the water with the nozzle in his hands.


Look how close the fire gets!! HOW COOL IS THAT!!!


Then they had a gas canister up against a short wall (like the outside of a building) and the flame was shooting straight up. One line had a hose with the shield the other side had a straight steam for the sword (you can see it best in this one)


Then when they advanced they changed the sword to another shield and got right up onto the fire. Notice how they are deflecting the fire up so that the gas doesn't ignite till it is higher up. They then moved forward till they were almost to the canister.

I had a lot of fun, and between two of the exercises my friend came over and he looked like a great big kid in a candy store and was happier than I had seen him in months. I think he likes his new career choice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, great job on the 3.5! I tell people all the time, if you can do 3, you can do 6. If you can do 6, you can do 12 and on and on... Not that I get ahead of myself or anything. :-)

Second, great pics from the fire! I have a couple firefighter friends and I'm always amazed at how excited they get from things like this.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job on the run, I'm impressed. I'm still working on my mile up here. At least I'm working on it though.

The pictures are awesome! Fire is really fun to watch, especially when you know nothing and no one will be harmed.

Keep up the good work!