Thursday, June 22, 2006

Ooooo….Fire Pretty!!

Wednesday
Distance: 3.0 miles Time: 39:24 min Inside 10:00 pm
Temperature: ?? °F Humidity: ??% Pressure: ??.?? inches

Thursday
Distance: 1.58 miles Time: 17:33 min Clear 6:00 am
Temperature: 75 °F Humidity: 89% Pressure: 30.08 inches (rising)
Working with my new theory that I decide the day before when I will run, I figured the best time to do a distance at the end of my limit was not first thing in the morning. So after I worked yesterday and then taught a lab at the community college I went for a run. Note the 10:00pm start time. It went surprisingly well. I had a treadmill with a TV attached and ESPN Wednesday Night Baseball!! I didn't even know I was running. I never thought I would enjoy a treadmill soooo much.

Half way through my run I pushed the pause button for like 30 seconds to take a drink. (I can't do that well while running and outside I don't care if I make a mess but inside I needed to stop before I showed the world I was a slob) The lady next to me had been walking there for a few minutes already. She looked over and said....”Did you just run the whole 20min?” I said I had but I was only half done I'm not very fast. She was impressed. So I started again but my new friend and I continued to chat. While I ran and she walked. That was cool. She asked me how I could run so long. I pointed out that other people run much longer, but that I had started a year ago running for 5 minutes and walking 5 minutes and that very very slowly I upped that till I was running a mile and now up to 3 but that was about all I had done. She said she had joined the gym 3 weeks ago and was up to walking for 15 minutes at 3mph. I told her to keep at it. When she got to 12 min she said she was going to see if she could run. She upped her speed and ran for about 45 seconds. I told her it was a start. Next time a little less speed and if she could keep her balance then letting go would make running easier using her arms. She tried again at 16 min and went a whole minute. (I was right about the letting go) I don't know if she will ever do it again and before she runs toooo far she really needs to look into a better sports bra and runners instead of cross trainers. (I didn’t tell her that. She will figure it out soon enough I’m sure.) But I remembered being there. That was a long time ago. But only like a year ago.

Then I went home and looking at my planner for today realized that I have evening plans so I have to run in the morning. So that means that I ran 3 miles, drove home, fell into bed, got up, ran 1.5 miles, and came to work. (I must be crazy!!)

My plans are....really cool!! A good friend of mine is in the fire academy through the same college where I teach. They have a "Night Burn" where they use gas to "burn" a building and practice putting it out with a technique called "sword and shield" (They use a mist to shield them from the heat and help suppress the fire and a stream of water to spray more directly, the sword) which is ironic for this friend on soooo many levels, but I digress. Anyway they are allowed to invite people to this to watch. I get to go!! The pyro in me is very excited, even though nothing will actually burn.

Running with flaming marshmallows…on a sharp stick....now that might be fun!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! All of it. The running, the lady next to you, the fire. Cool. You should take and post pictures.

Anonymous said...

Burn! Baby, Burn! What is it about fire that is so hypnotic anyway? So, I guess you still haven't been able to find a treadmill to purchase. The gym works just as good. My problem is finding the time to GET to the gym. Once I'm there....I'm golden. Have a great weekend!!! Congrats on the new shoes. Funny how such little things can make a huge difference.