Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Mighty and The Humble

I met some new people, a couple, this weekend at an SCA event. He had moved into Florida 2 years ago and brought her into the group. I met her first in the bathroom with her daughter, who had a cast on her leg. It was red fiberglass with a black fiberglass stripe. Well any one who knows me knows that if I needed a cast and I could have two colors it would be a red and black cast!!. So I told her that was the coolest cast I had ever seen. (It really was)

Throughout the day I got to know this lady a little bit and FireGuy got to know her boyfriend. Both were very nice people and seemed a lot of fun. We all ended up at the same table at dinner. They had a good time and asked us to join them in their camp later to hang out. We had a good time too and accepted the offer. I counter offered when they invited us to join them and I invited them to FireGuy’s Bible study the next morning. They said they were not sure if they could make it they had a lot of packing, but they were interested maybe the next time when they could plan ahead better.

Word was passed to me that she wanted to call me but did not have my number and sent hers along to get to me. I called her and she said she was so sorry they were not able to make it Sunday morning but she really liked FireGuy and I and wanted to know if he would be having a Bible study at the next event. I let her know details and we began to chat...Between the event and the phone call this is what I know:

The first part of the conversation she talked about how they had a good time with us and how great we were and how great her boyfriend was. Some other chatting about the other people we knew and she said how much she liked this or that about each of them. She had something nice to say about every one of them. Then I got asking more about her...

Ok...so this lady has two cute little girls. One has a cast as I said before. She did not break anything it is to help her muscle grow long by keeping her foot straight. She is on seizure medication and has already had 5 (yes I said FIVE) brain surgeries!! (That kid didn’t look a day over 8 or 9 to me. The younger one is doing better…she has only had to have one brain surgery! No Kidding!! Also about 2.5 years ago this lady lost her husband. To cancer. They found out on a Wednesday and he was dead on Sunday. She was still in shock that she had been told the oldest was going to have her 5th brain surgery when he died and she alone still had to go through her little girl going under the knife a couple moths later. I said “How did you do it?” She said simply…”Humor and faith.” She said she didn’t have a choice she had to keep going. She had to raise those girls. I told her that had a rough year and I know you just have to keep going but I can not imagine having to keep going like that. She said she knew what I meant. SHE knew what I meant?!?! When she was in the hospital with her daughter she would see parents with kids who would not make it the night. She would talk with them and hold them and cry with them because she knew she was better off... her girl would live, so she could keep going.

I do not know if I could do it. I hope that I could. I had a rough year last year but nothing like her world.

Some days you meet someone you just cannot believe. I think I might have a new friend.

3 comments:

JustRun said...

Wow, humble just begins to describe it. I am sure, as friends, you can find strength in each other, too.

Natalie said...

She sounds amazing. I would love to meet this woman and her two brave girls. A good thing I can see in this is that those girls will grow up with perspective!

Anonymous said...

Wow...sort of changes everyone's perspective of having a bad day. Humbling experiences are priceless.