Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sometimes they do the right things for the right reasons...

I know I haven't posted much lately but this I felt was very important to share. I love OutBack Steak House and I have always thought it was really cool that they started here in Tampa. For the most part they seem to be a good company and do a lot for the community. Here is where they did even more.

My friend Cherish is serving a year in Iraq as a firefighter. The bases over there don't use our military for firefighting duties. They hire firefighters from back here for "tours" over there. She and some of the others also volunteer at the "Hospital/Clinic" what ever it is that the wounded come back to. This was part of what she posted to her blog the other day:



Lets start with my steak dinner. I had the best meal I have ever had in my life last Sunday. Outback steak house did a tour through the middle east stopping at a few bases in Kuwait, Afgan, and Iraq. We were lucky enough to be one of those bases. We were so excited the week before, like kids waiting to go to Disney. That Sunday was supposed to be a down day for us, but we were busy until 2:30pm and then found out at 2:45 that we had to sit stand by for outback at 3pm. We all though “great, just great.” This meant that we had to sit next to the grill at make sure nothing caught on fire. 5 hours in the sun, next to the grill…..
It didn’t end up being as bad as we had expected. The Outback guys were really cool. They brought along a few cute chicks to serve desert and stuff, the guys (and soldiers) really liked that. The Outback reps told us that Out back has done this before for the soldiers, and everyone helping over here. They don’t advertise it all at because it is not intended to be a promotion. They footed the bill for everything. Yeah Out back. They practically set up their whole menu here. The brought everything, even their own oil for the bloomin onions. It was absolutely the best thing I have ever eaten in my life. There were a few perks for having to stand by at the grill. We helped cook some of the steaks, so in turn we got to cook our own…. To perfection. One of the reps is the owner of Carrabas in Tallahassee so I will be paying that restaurant a visit next time I am up there. The crews worked for two weeks straight busting their tales to bring us as much of home as possible. We gave them some of our shirts and patches.



I had not heard about this at all here in Tampa!! Sometimes they really do the right things for the right reasons. Yea OutBack!! I think I'll go buy a steak!!


6 comments:

Ian said...

That's great. As if I didn't already love Outback enough, now I have one more reason to give them my business.

JustRun said...

That is awesome!

anne said...

I had no idea - but that is very nice.

Anonymous said...

The interesting thing I found out today on AOL is that Outback started here in Tampa!

It's great to see them take care of one of our own.

KA

Natalie said...

Before I moved to Florida, I thought Outback was just another chain. When I got here and saw how many good things they do for the community (and now our troops!) I completely changed my opinion of them. And that they don't promote this sort of stuff speaks volumes about them. Even when I move away, I'm going to give them whatever business I can. Which won't be hard, they have yummy food!

Bre said...

That is so incredible! I emailed your post out to a bunch of my dad's firemen - such a lovely thing to hear!!