Sunday, February 05, 2006

Crusade


Distance: 2.5 miles Time: 28:53 min Sunny 12:45 pm
Temperature: 61 °F Humidity: 48% Pressure: 30.13 inches


A week ago my friend with leukemia passed away. As my running buddy he kept me going. Now as the drive behind my new crusade he is still doing the same. When I started this blog I didn’t know what I was looking for. Why share my meager progress with total strangers. Now I think I know. Soon I will post a blog about my friend and place the “I fight cancer” Ribbon on my page. The post will fulfill one of several suggested ideas for a requirement to post the ribbon on a web or blog page, several of which I will end up doing before my crusade is finished. For now I run.

I finished the 2.5 miles today and it was beautiful out. I miss him running with me most on days like this. I had to walk a few times due to some calf cramping. I have also had cramps in my leg at night. I hope when the stress has passed and I can run on more of a schedule some this will all pass too.

I stated that the training to work up to 5k was for a run here in Feb. That will still be the first run. There is also a run on March 4th to benefit the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and one on April 8th to benefit Moffitt Cancer Research Center where my friend was treated. The first thing I can do on crusade is pay the money to take part in these events where the proceeds go to these charities and that also encourage healthy activity and thus reduce the risk of cancer in people.

I am honored that my friend’s mother and youngest sister, who will be in town in April, and some of his closest friends would like to take part in the Miles for Moffitt run with me. I hope we make him proud. And I hope that better treatments and cures are found soon.

Running to keep running

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I meant to tell you that I'm not opposed to walking 5 mi instead of 1 mi for the one that gives you a choice (Moffitt I think?) but if the mom and sis only want to do 1 mi I'll do it with them.

Remember, you may be running by yourself but as long as you have your running buddy in you heart you are not alone.

Anonymous said...

magnetbabe,

Thanks for visiting!! I agree that now he is with me every time. That is why running buddies are forever. It's the missing footsteps that are hard to get used to.

The 1 mile is all the sis wants to run.....and I don't think I will be ready for the 5mi. :) Maybe next year. I know you can walk all day, but I'm not running all day yet.

RGFL