Saturday, March 11, 2006

Goal #2: Rounding out the fitness plans.

Distance: 1 mile          Time: 11:54:50 mile    Clear and warm 11:00 am
Temperature: 81 °F Humidity: 47% Pressure: 30.20 inches
Now that the two 5K’s are done, and I’m not worried about the Miles for Moffitt fun run because I can run the mile and the event is more about all of us gathering in the memory of Randy and the awareness of the fight against cancer. So today I get started on a new goal. This week is Spring break so I do not have to teach 3 nights this week. This seems like the best time to start some new habits while things are a little slower and then I can continue them when things gear up again. To accomplish the first goal I had to run regularly to get to the 5K mark. This new goal is to now to add meal planning and to place some cross training on the off days. I’m going to add just some small additions like the Saturday run will now be a short warm-up before a fitness trail, and Monday and Wednesday mornings having some in-home core, flexibility, or upper body work. These are small additions and will facilitate each other. I don’t seem to have time to do small ½ hour workouts on Monday and Wednesday because I am running around finding my lunch in the morning or finding dinner at night. If I have my meals planned a little better the night before (even just lunch) then the next morning can have an easy ½ hour of workout time to get me started. That’s my thinking.

Today I did start the Saturday part of this by running one mile in the park and then doing the fitness circuit on the trail. I wasn’t overly impressed. Most of the upper body exercises were either too advanced even at the lowest level (and I’m not the worst to try the trail) or the equipment was built for men. Some of the shortest of the fitness bars was too high for me to reach to do the recommended exercise. I’m 5’ 5” and that makes me right at the national average for women. I’m not tall but I’m not short either so this seemed to not be helpful. Next week I will do the fitness trail at USF instead. I like that one better. The important part is that I did complete the workout and it was a workout. I also ran between about every other exercise so I got in a little more mileage today but I don’t know how far it ended up adding on.

I would hope that my next goal would be reached within a few weeks to a month since they are a scheduling/habit goal rather than a mileage goal. In the upcoming weeks I will decide my next running goal.

I’m a well rounded runner!!

No comments: