Sunday, May 07, 2006

Under 11!!!

Distance: 1.0 miles   Time: 10:54 min    Sunny 11:00 am
Temperature: 81 °F Humidity: 59% Pressure: 30.00 inches (falling)
Today’s run was at the park near my home. I was going to run farther but I started out so strong and was really doing well that I wanted to see how well I could do one mile. I normally don’t time things other than to keep long term track. I post them for each run but don’t actually compare them day to day. Today however I was going so fast (well for slow little me anyway) that I decided not to back off, but to try to finish a really strong mile and I was under 11min!! That’s a big deal for me!! So while I cut the run short I really pushed for a hard mile. It’ll all come out in the wash I guess.

Also, yesterday I went “hunting” (that is what one of the guys calls shopping) for a used treadmill yesterday. I found a really nice one at the Salvation Army. The kind you see at the gym, that you do not sound like a baby elephant on and, is all cushy under the belt. I got them to plug it in for me and was running along just about convinced this was the best deal ever and, even though it was a little big, I could make it work. I stepped off the belt and shut it off when I remembered I had not checked that the incline feature worked. Well, good thing I was off the belt because when I turned it back on it went FULL SPEED!!! None of the controls responded and we had to shut it off at the switch. Then I could not get it to start again. The incline would go up and down but the belt refused to start. I guess that it was just not meant to be. Oh well. It was a little too big for my rooms anyway and a lot of money at $150 to not be sure it was going to keep working, even though it was probably at least a $2,000 machine. (I have been pricing new ones too) I know I can get a cheaper one on another weekend at Salvation Army or GoodWill or out of the paper so I will just keep looking. It does not have to be as nice as that either as it is just to supplement running outside, which I prefer.

However, hurricane season and thunderstorm season are on the way….and the hurricanes never come during the week when you could stay home from work and hide inside in a nice warm bed. They always come to ruin the weekend when you could be out for a nice long run. Then again….I’ll most likely lose power anyway have to run in circles around my dining room table….that I will not be able to get to because all the porch furniture will be there.

Well the good news is…

Starting to run a little faster…who’da thunk

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray for running under 11!! I'm so proud of you! YAY!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Feet!! When you get home maybe we can go for a run. :) or rollarblade or something.

Anonymous said...

Nice job! You should be very proud of yourself!

Also, if you haven't already, check the classifieds for the treadmill. That's where I found mine- in a garage sale ad.

Again, way to go on the speedy mile!

Anonymous said...

Good Job!! As for finding stuff...might also want to try craigslist online. It's like a local version of ebay but you don't bid. You can however negotiate. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

JR - I have the "Flyer" which is a really cheep classifieds that comes once a week to your mail box. The adds are really cheep so the prices are usually also. Thanks for the tip!!

GG - I have not heard of that. Sounds cool....going there now!! THANKS!!

Anonymous said...

My dad swears by craigslist. He just sold all his patio furniture on it.