Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Going to the Doctor...

Distance: 4.0 miles   Time: ~48 min   fair 6:30 pm
Temperature: 80 °F Humidity: 71% Pressure: 29:91 inches (holding)
Well another run done this week, just one more tonight. Then Thursday night off and the long run on Friday before I go out of town for the weekend. It’s 11 –12 miles this time. ACK!! Well, every step, right?

I finally broke down. I have an appointment tomorrow with a sports medicine doctor about the shin splints too. They are at the University and see many of the athletes so I’m hoping they understand the “I’m not stopping” theory. Of course as soon as I made the appointment my shin started to feel much better and didn’t hurt at all during last night’s run. Not even at the beginning. Of course it might have been that the Vitamin I that I took a half hour before worked, but I have tried that before and it hadn’t worked that well yet. I’m sure Friday’s run will not help but at least I can get to the doc before that. We will see. It figures that it is feeling good yesterday and today.

Running with no pain…when I need to tell the Doctor about it!!

4 comments:

JustRun said...

Ahh, like taking the car with the "strange noise" to the mechanic, huh?

Another thing that helped my shins: massage. If there's a school near you, that's usually a better deal.

Runner Girl FL said...

There are a couple schools around here and maybe I'll ask the Doc about that too...but they are so tender the hurt as the kittens rubbed past them....except for the last two days...I don't think I could have stood someone touching them.

Natalie said...

I've been MIA here lately, and you've been prolific! Sorry, the crazy kitties have been keeping me busy. I just read your new reader's guide. I can't decide if I want the world to know it's my fault you're here...

JustRun said...

I know, it can be painful. But part of the pain could be the lactic acid that's built up in the muscle. I love massages but unfortunately, they're not all relaxing for me.