Friday, October 20, 2006

I Have the Answer!!

Distance: 11.3 miles   Time: 2h:24min   fair 7:00 am
Temperature: 83 °F Humidity: 72% Pressure: ??:?? inches
I have the secret….People who run marathons are crazy. At some point here I may become part of their collective and be assimilated. If that happens and I deny ever having posted this than you all should feel privileged to have read it while you could.

There is a whole new world of hurt out there beyond 10 miles. No really…new rubbing spots…you can’t know to put the glide stuff on to protect ahead of time if they have never rubbed before and now they rubbed for over 11 miles. I got cold….on the run….I started getting cold!! I am soaked with sweat till my hair, IN A BRAID, down my back is fully wet like I just got out of the shower and I was COLD. And then there is the usual knees, feet, muscles, shoulders, back sort of hurts that are always on longer runs. (The new orthodics should help the knees too) Ok…all of this is just part of running or at least part of running farther than ever before. And it hurt. And some of it should get better. At some point I hope that 10-ish miles won’t but I don’t think that at this time I could ever imagine 26.2 not hurting like this along the way and I am sure it will be worse.

That being said….I finished the 11.3 and then I did the most painful thing ever….

I STOPPED RUNNING!!!

This is why marathoners run that far. After they pass 10 miles it hurts more to stop than to keep going!!! REALLY!! It was amazing!! I could not have started again but I could not believe I had stopped. It hurt more to stop and walk. That is it….I now have the answer for all of you who said….HOW CAN YOU RUN THAT FAR?!?! Well once you run the 10 miles you might as well keep going!!

Running in a whole new world!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Blogger ate my first comment!)

Anyway, congratulations on the 11.3! That's great. And yes, I know, the pain. But it does get better. It HAS to, right? :)

Happy Birthday! Have a fabulous day!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are soooo right on, I feel the same way - after you hit about 9 miles it's just so much easier to keep running! It hurts like hell to stop. I have never attempted 26.2, I am sticking with 13.1 for now!