Thursday, November 16, 2006

Great American Teach-In 2006

Distance:~3        Time: ??:?? min    inside 8:30 pm
Temperature: ?? °F Humidity: ??% Pressure: ??.?? inches (falling)
So another pair of shoes, another short run. These were the best yet, but still made my feet cramp in a mile or so. So…I changed to my regular shoes and finished another 2 but when your feet are already in cramps it’s useless. However…there is good news…

THE NEW SOCKS WORKED!!

I didn’t wear Band-Aids at all to start and see what happened and they didn’t even start to rub and hurt! YEA!!

On Friday I go to the Physical Therapist and I am going to walk in with all the shoes….well not the first pair but the last two pairs for sure.

Yesterday I helped with the Great American Teach-In here in town. It is a day when you can volunteer to talk to kids in a school and tell them about what you do or your hobby or information you want to get out to them. I told elementary students about being a Physicist. Well the 1st and 2nd grades I told about being a Scientist. How to be a scientist, YES Girls can do this too, No you don’t have to go to an expensive fancy school. USF next door is doing important research, etc. (USF is next door…in fact the elementary school is on USF’s campus and they do a lot of work together) I brought in a little demo where you shine a light down into a soda can with a hole in the side near the bottom and you can see the light bounce inside the stream of water. It worked pretty well, I know because there were lots of Oooo's.

They also had visitors who teach the Computer Classes at the Library, a LADY firefighter (I know her….SHE ROCKS!!) and those were just the people I know. They were talking about people with animals, people teaching them how to eat right, people explaining exercise science…. maybe I want to sit in on that one.

Overall it was a lot of fun!! I’m really glad I got to do it.

As a side note, while looking for information on the Great American Teach - In to explain it to someone I came across this page trying to encourage people to go teach this to the kids. Hmmmm.... interesting what you find on the internet. Thanks, but I'll stick to Physics

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for the good socks!

I'm also glad to hear you're seeing a PT. They are miracle workers, sometimes, I think.

That is just so cool that you got to talk to young girls about being a scientist. How cool! I could have used one of those talks when I was younger- I was not into science until at least high school and even by then, it was not my thing. Very cool!